- Steam for games that are at least 4 years old.
- Starcraft 2 with Wine
- Video-on-Demand (VOD) via Netflix, Disney+, Prime, NPO Start and Youtube on 1040p+.
- Chrome, Firefox
- Gigabit Ethernet.
- Bluetooth for BT mouse and BT headphones.
- minimal 2 USB 3.1+ ports
- External HDD,
- External Logitech keyboard.
- HDMI, The x300 supports HDMI(4K @60Hz)
- Ubuntu 20.04+
- Low power
- Low Noice
- Small Form Factor
- VESA mount
AMD over Intel
- A SFF machine with low power consumption works best with an CPU of the APU type
- APU is the acronym for integrated Video
- AMD APU with the AMD Vega is best over Intel integrated Video and AMD Readon integrated video.
AMD processor type: 4000 with Zen3 over Zen2
- For 4K 60 Fps 6 cores and 12 threads are minimal
- AMD 4000 series is better then the 3000 series for the increased cores (6+) and threads (12+)
- Note Ryzen 3 has 4 cores, Ryzen 5 has 6 cores, and Ryzen 7 has 8 cores.
- AMD 4000 range contains Zen2 and Zen3 architecture
- Zen 3 delivers more power output with less power consumption
- Question: 4000 vs 5000 range
- AMD Renoir is the 4000 range of AMD of the U / H / HS type. These are optimized for low power (15w/35w/45w tdp)
AMD Ryzen - renoir Architecture background
- Wikipedia - AMD Ryzen
- WikiChip - AMD renoir
- Notebook Check - AMD Renoir Architecture: Ryzen 4000 APUs with Zen 2 and Vega Graphics in 7nm
to renoir or not to renoir
according to Wikichip - " Renoir is codename for AMD series of mainstream mobile and desktop APUs based on the Zen 2 CPU and Vega GPU microarchitectures succeeding Picasso. Renoir processors are fabricated on TSMC 7 nm process. … Renoir is an SoC for the mobile segment and mainstream desktop and workstation based on the Zen 2 microarchitecture incorporating a Vega GPU. "
according to Wikipedia - " The Ryzen 4000 APUs are based on Renoir, a refresh of the Zen 2 Matisse CPU cores, coupled with Radeon Vega GPU cores. They were released only to OEM manufacturers in mid-2020"
Low Power CPU
- German lowpower CPU list states that AMD Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G is very nice on power consumption, but not that many core/threads.
- Reddit post on Ryzen 5 4650G is very nice
- hardwareluxx - Die sparsamsten Systeme (<30W Idle), German forum post on low power
- hardwareluxx - Die sparsamsten Systeme (<30W Idle) Sheet, Google Spreadsheet on low power
- Tweakers - Het grote zuinige server topic - deel 2
- CPU Benchmark - power to performance ratio
Casing type: ARock Deskmini X300 or 4x4
- Asrock deskmini X300 supports AMD Renoir (4000 series) up to 65W and the AM4 socket
- Asrock deskmini is SFF, silent and low power consumption
- The X300 is around 155 EUR or 149 EUR.
What is the Deskmini X300 ?
- Toms Hardware Guide - New ASRock DeskMini Mini PCs Come in AMD Ryzen 4000, Intel 10th Gen Flavors
- Notebook Check - ASRock DeskMini X300 and A300 mini PC barebones first to support up to an AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G APU
AMD Chips supported by the X300 (price excluded CPU)
This is a sub-set from the site of ASRock selected based on 4000 series (renoir) Note, according to Wikipedia - " Ryzen Pro 4x50G APUs are the same as 4x00G APUs, except they are bundled a Wraith Stealth cooler and are not OEM-only." Thus CPU’s below are including Cooler, since the have +50 in the name. The *G is max TDP 65 Watt and the *GE is max TDP 15 Watt.
- Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G (100-000000145) (155 EUR + ~400 EUR = 555)
- Ryzen 7 PRO 4750GE(100-000000152)
- Ryzen 5 PRO [4650G][cpu-mokey-4650] (100-000000143) (155 + ~255 EUR = 410)
- Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE(100-000000153)
- Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G (100-000000148) (155 + 170 EUR = 325)
- Ryzen 3 PRO 4350GE(100-000000154)
- CPU-Monkey: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G vs AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G
- CPU-Benchmark: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G vs AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G
AMD Chips supported by the Asus Mini PC (price include CPU)
- Ryzen 7 4800U - (~650 EUR)
- Ryzen 7 4700U - (~500 EUR)
- Ryzen 5 4600U - ()
- Ryzen 5 4500U - (~450 EUR)
- Ryzen 3 4300U - (~410 EUR)
ASRock 4x4 Box with 400U range CPU included
Not available in NL, and more pricy then the ASUS and X300 See for a review: Toms Hardware Guide - Hands-on With ASRock’s NUC-Like 4X4 BOX-4800U Mini PC
These cases are inclused with the CPU,
- the 4x4 Boks is arond 599 USD.
- ASRock industrial 4x4 supports AMD 4000u series and SSD + HDD combination.
- Asus Mini PC PN50-BBR545MD-CSM 400 EUR incl AMD Ryzen 5 4500U
- More and Faster RAM is always best to keep a system running for 7+ years.
- two banks are needed, to provide the CPU with “dual” channel access
- Size: min 32GB -> 2x 16 GB
- speed: 3200 MHz
- type: DDR4 (SODIMM)
- other spec:
The x300 supports 2 x SO-DIMM DDR4 Memory, Max. 64GB, AMD Ryzen 4000 series – 3200MHz
- 1 SDD 500GB - 1 TB for OS (maybe even 250GB?, high speed!),
- 1 HDD 5TB fast for iso’s, DMG, Steam, SC2 etc
SDD: The x300 supports
- 1 x Ultra M.2 (2280) PCIe Gen3 x4 SSD Slot
- 1 x Ultra M.2 (2280) Slot
- PCIe Gen3 x4 (Renoir, Picasso and Raven Ridge APU)
HDD: The x300 supports 2 x 2.5" SATA 6Gb Hard Drive
Related Links - Build Request for Review on Tweakers.net
- My question on Tweakers on Low Power (apr 2020), Tweakers - Idle power consumption - waar kan ik me inlezen?
- Tweakers - Asrok deskmini build compariable to my orginal post.
- Tweakers - HTPC - low idle power, 4K - compatible componenten?, My build review request on Tweakers (jun 2020)
- My youtube playlist on HTPC-SFF focused on the X300 Asrock mini case
Related Links with overal CPU’s benchmarks and comparisons
- Notebook Check - CPU Benchmark - Comparison of Mobile Processors
- Tom’s Hardware Guide - CPU Benchmark